Do you have legal questions like how can I protect my intellectual property? Maybe you’re wondering what type of business structure to set up or even what contracts you should have on hand.
The purpose of the event is to help emerging designers and fashion professionals understand the basics of fashion law and legal issues to consider when starting your business. This includes the types of intellectual property protection, setting up your business, contracting work and other items that entrepreneurs face.
Professor Scafidi will present some of the basics of fashion law and we will discuss the following topics:
- Introduction to the Fashion Law Institute and free monthly Pop-Up Clinic
- Types of intellectual property
- How can designers protect themselves
- What are some of the most interesting issues that face emerging designers when starting their business or that you hear at the clinic?
- What should designers consider when starting their business (LLC, S-Corp, Partnership)
- How important are contracts when freelancing work? If you don’t have access to an attorney, how should a designer create one?
- How do you protect yourself when working with a vendor? (getting paid, contracts, etc…)
- When working with a vendor outside of the United States, how do the laws apply?
We also welcome your questions and will discuss with Professor Scafidi so we can incorporate them into the conversation. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Run of Show
6:45-7:30: Presentation & Discussion
7:45-8:00: Networking/Wrap Up
Tuesday, June 11,6:30-8pm
The Fashion Center
209 West 38th, 2nd Floor
Learn more about Professor Scafidi and register for this event on The Emerging Designer Meetup page.
Emerging Designer or have a resource to share? Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.