New York-based jewelry label Melissa Joy Manning has announced an open call for their MJM design contest. The competition’s theme is The Future of Jewelry and is inspired by pioneers and forward-thinkers. They want to discover designers who can look past current trends and can understand what future customers will want.
Melissa, a CFDA member has a long-time commitment to fostering emerging designers and sustainability. She founded and co-chaired the CFDA Sustainability Committee, won the Lexus Eco Fashion Challenge and sits on the advisory board of CFDA + Lexus Fashion* Initiative and NEST.
“When I first started my business, the industry was very different e-commerce didn’t even exist! Fast forward to today, trade shows have become super expensive and duplicative while social media is emerging as a disrupter in the industry. With all the algorithmic shakeups and 24 hour news cycle, social media can often ignore up-and-comers with a smaller, or not-yet-existing following. Our aim is to change that by selecting the most talented new designers and bringing them to market.”
- Designers must be based in the United States
- Must be an emerging brand, with no online/e-commerce representation
- Must submit a piece of wearable jewelry for consideration
- The piece must be made by hand.
- They are are open to alternative materials, but please no animal parts from endangered species and no conflict stones
1. At least one high quality photo of the piece on a white background. This must be a finished piece and not a rendering. You may submit additional product or lifestyle images as well, but they are not required.
2. The suggested wholesale and retail price for the piece in US dollars.
3. Two paragraphs: first a bio/artist statement, and secondly about your process and materials – with specific description of the piece.
The Process & Prize
- Their team of judges will will announce three winners on Monday, August 20th.
- They will purchase the piece wholesale and sell it online and/or in our retail store.
- The artists will be added to their Sprig Collective of designers.
Please note that we are not affiliated with this open call and cannot answer questions about it.
Emerging designer or resource to share? Please contact us at email@example.com. Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter to learn about the latest news, open calls, events and opportunities! Need some guidance? Check out our consulting services.