Macy’s has launched their open call for The Workshop at Macy’s, a week-long program in April for minority and female-owned businesses. Now in it’s fifth year, the free program helps mentor and foster emerging talent in fashion and lifestyle categories while also equipping them with the skills and knowledge needed to run their company.
Those selected into the program will participate in a curriculum that covers a variety of topics such as branding, market research, merchandising and finance. At the end of the Workshop, entrepreneurs will know how to:
- Present a product line to senior merchants to determine viability of doing business with a major retailer
- Understand retail industry best practices, merchant requirements and benchmarks for success
- Identify opportunities and minimize threats to establishing a strong partnership
- Deconstruct business operations and align them to better grow your business
- Be able to build and present a strategic plan
- Gain knowledge on how to build an impactful brand strategy
- Understand retail math basics
All applicants must be the majority (51 percent or more of equity) owner or co-owner or otherwise have operational control (by control of voting stock rather than all equity, by contract or other arrangement) of a business that has been in operation for at least two consecutive years and be its primary decision maker.
Applicants also must meet the following criteria:
- A legal U.S. resident, residing in the United States, who is either a woman or of Black, Hispanic, Native American, Asian-Indian or Asian-Pacific descent
- 21 years or older
- Operate an established U.S.-based business that produces goods for resale in a department store environment
- Able to travel to New York City to participate in the program
This program will most benefit business owners who:
- Own a business that has growth potential
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically about their business
Emerging Designer or have a resource to share? Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.