2017 City Guide: 40 Things to Do in NYC This Summer
In New York City this summer?
Whether you're a local, visiting or made the move, we hope that our list of 40 things to do will keep you inspired, relaxed, well-fed and get your endorphins going.
NYC Shopping & Retail Inspiration
It goes without saying that New York City has some of the best retail establishments. From new store concepts, pop-up shops, merchandising and buzz worthy places, there's so much to see. The summer also means sale season and your chance to find unbelievable deals.
1. Shop emerging designers in the Meat Packing District at In Support Of.
2. Head to SoHo and lust through designer labels at Kirna Zabete.
3. Experience the magic of thoughtful retail design at Ulla Johnson's first retail store.
4. Go to Williamsburg and shop emerging designers and elevated contemporary brands at Bird.
5. Get inspired by a fresh and modern space at the WANT Apothecary in Flatiron.
6. Head down to Canal Street Market to shop a variety of fashion and lifestyle brands along with a pretty nice food hall.
7. Check out The Rising States in the Lower East Side because it's a top destination for emerging designers.
8. For sneaker heads, head to Kith and grab an ice cream while you're at it.
9. Get your fill of all things fem-loving at the Bulletin store.
10. Ditch all your personal care products that aren't toxin free and stock up on the good stuff at Follian in SoHo.
Classes, Cultural & Education
You can never get enough culture, education and learning in this city. And, we encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and take a class, spend the day offline or visit both the historic and hotspots throughout the boroughs.
12. Take a shoe or handbag making class at Brooklyn Shoe Space or sign up for their co-working space.
13. Tour the Brooklyn Fashion & Design Accelerator & engage with their community or take a Textile Tuesday course.
14. Go uptown to view the Rei Kawakubo Comme des Garcons exhibition at the Met.
15. Head to the Meat Packing District and spend a day at the Whitney Museum because you'll surely get inspired by their collection of contemporary American Art.
You may never be able to taste all of New York has to offer, but we've picked a handful of noteworthy newbies that will keep you hydrated, healthy and full.
16. Try abcV, ABC Carpet and Home's wellness offshoot for the healthiest works of art and most delicious breakfast bowls, juice and vegan fare.
17. Grab three friends and order the matcha, beetroot & turmeric lattes at Bluestone Lane. Or, you can just order a flight for yourself!
19. Feel the good Aussie vibes and get yourself an avocado toast or brekkie all day long at Citizens of Chelsea.
20. Stop by Dominique Ansel Kitchen because they have too many blow-your mind desserts like their kiwi sorbet bars.
If you do it for the gram, make sure you add these places to your list. You'll not get a good pic, good food, these places nail the visual brand experience.
21. Visit Mansur Gavriel in SoHo because it's color, merchandising and brand consistency at its finest.
22. Get ready for good Italian and all things Millennial pink at Pietro Notila.
23. Fuel up on your antioxidants at Cha Cha Matcha with their desserts and drinks.
24. Head to De Maria, a new woman-owned Nolita gem and revel in good design and healthy eats.
25. Enjoy the Too Good For You Cocktail at While We Were Young NYC because it has kale and tequila and that's just a fun mix.
In the Garment District
While you're visiting factories, sourcing materials or looking at fabric, experience what the neighborhood has to offer thanks to @GarmentDistrictNYC.
27. Take a free Garment District walking tour to learn about the history of the neighborhood.
28. Stop by the Garment District Urban Garden, because they have free fitness classes, lemonade giveaways and public art.
Relax, Chill & Workout
These are the months to relax, enjoy the city (or escape) and take care of yourself. With wellness taking over, you can pack your calendar with the good stuff all season long.
29. Schedule a facial at Heyday because hey, you deserve it.
30. Get a manicure, massage and latte at Chillhouse and do consider their monthly membership for access to super cool events.
31. Sign up for a meditation break at MNDFL with a 30 minute session.
32. Give acupuncture a try or learn more about the benefits of herbal treatments at 8 Point Wellness.
33. Take the Sunday night restorative class at Ishta Yoga and make your Monday pure bliss.
34. Make your lungs say thank you at Breathe Salt Rooms located across the city and at the Wellery at Saks on Fifth Avenue.
35. Get your blood going with one of Nicole Winhoffer's dance-inspired fitness classes because this celebrity trainer will make your body move like it hasn't before.
Stay, Play or Getaway
So many well-designed hotels have popped up in the past year. From luxury stays for less, wellness getaways or rooftop scenes, there's so much to experience. Whether you're grabbing cocktails, making a city escape or planning a staycation, there's a trove of hotspots to visit.
37. Grab your friends, leave the island and do a mini beach getaway at the new Hero Beach Club in Mountak because everyone deserves some time in the sand.
38. Fall in love with the architecture and history of the The Beekman hotel in the Financial District.
39. Make your way to the Lower East side to the newly opened Public Hotel, a Ian Schrager concept for it's super chill vibe and neon lit Insta worthy escalator and rooftop. Plus, rooms start at $150.
40. Get your picnic gear out and take the ferry to Governor's Island to bike ride, attend one of their events or just get a dose of nature.
Emerging designer or resource to share? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter to learn about the latest news, open calls, events and opportunities!