Open Call: ASOS Fashion Discovery for UK Emerging Designers
ASOS, the UK-based retailer has launched an open call for their second ASOS Fashion Discovery program for emerging designers as part of their continued commitment to support fresh talent. In partnership with the British Fashion Council, Fashion Scout and Graduate Fashion Week, the brand incubator provides educational mentorship, a cash prize of £50,000 and the opportunity to be sold for two seasons on ASOS.com. A panel of industry judges including ASOS staff, Susanna Lau, founder of Susie Bubble, Elgar Johnson, Fashion director at GQ Style and other industry consultants will help select talent.
Last year's winners were latex lingerie designer Elissa Poppy and womenswear label Hanger who have both benefited from the program. Both designers have had been able to support their marketing efforts, move into studios and put a stronger focus on manufacturing.
Who can apply
The open call is for:
- UK-based businesses that have been trading for less than five years
- Sell fashion goods: menswear, womenswear, unisex accessories, footwear and/or jewelry, beauty and home goods
- Sell new items and original fashion products (e.g. not vintage)
Two designers will receive:
- £50,000 cash to be used to help each winner grow its brand
- An edit of their brand’s collections to be sold on ASOS.com (and local language sites at ASOS’ discretion) for two consecutive seasons;
- 50 hours of mentoring split across up to five business functions: Retail, Marketing, Finance, Legal and Sourcing
- Editorial coverage on ASOS channels; and
- ASOS to create a digital fashion look book.
- The public will also have the opportunity to select via an online vote their “People’s Pick” from the shortlisted businesses. The Winner of the People’s Pick will receive an edit of their brand’s collection to be sold on ASOS.com (and local language sites at ASOS’ discretion) for one season. If the People’s Pick winner is also a winner of the main competition, the People’s Pick winner will receive £10,000 cash instead to be used to help grow their brand.
The deadline to apply is Monday, October 30, 2017. From here, there will be additional rounds to the process.
Learn more about ASOS Fashion Discovery and apply.
Please note that we are not affiliated with this open call and cannot answer questions about it. If you want to know more about open calls and contests, be sure to sign up for our newsletter.
Emerging designer or resource to share? Please contact us at email@example.com.