Open Call: BKLYN Fashion Academy
The BKLYN Fashion Academy, a program developed by the Brooklyn Public Library wants to provide 15 aspiring womenswear designers with the tools and resources needed to start a fashion business. Participants will be able to use library resources and third party organizations to create a four piece collection. Designers will be immersed into intensive learning and lab sessions that include everything from fashion illustration, market research, sustainable design and sourcing along with sample development. Partners will also help market, educate, produce and sell products. The program will end in a "Les Sapeurs" themed fashion show which will mimic a Congolese event where style-minded individuals stroll through the streets like walking works of art.
The BPL realizes the opportunity that exists to empower and support entrepreneurs. Their statistics reveal that in Brooklyn, 92% of businesses have fewer than 20 employees, and 74,000 Brooklynites are self-employed.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- Must live in Brooklyn
- Have a valid Brooklyn Public Library card (get one)
- Must have sewing experience
The deadline to apply is January 15, 2018
- Brooklyn Fashion and Design Accelerator (BF+DA), launched by Pratt Institute to assist aspiring fashion entrepreneurs in creating successful and ethical businesses
- FABSCRAP, a 501(c)3 charitable organization that was created to meet New York City’s commercial textile recycling needs. Materials that traditionally would have gone to landfill are now being properly recycled and made available for reuse.
- Made in NY: Fashion, providing access to facilities for participating designers to enhance their creative processes
- Mood Fabrics, well-known for providing materials for Project Runway. Mood Fabrics evolved from a fabric store in the Garment District to a global shopping destination. In addition to quality products, Mood also created a suite of workshops taught by industry experts called Mood U.
- Materials for the Arts, New York’s premiere reuse center, providing a way for companies and individuals to donate unneeded supplies to thousands of nonprofit organizations with arts programming and public schools
The deadline to apply is January 15, 2018. Learn more and apply at BKLYN Fashion Academy.
Emerging designer or resource to share? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter to learn about the latest news, open calls, events and opportunities!