Open Call: Joan Shepp Launches Emerging Designer Residency
Joan Shepp, the Philadelphia-based retailer known for their eclectic curation and support of fresh talent has decided to go one step further by launching their emerging designer residency program to help discover the next big name in apparel and accessories. Named as one of the country's "Style Leaders" by Harper's Bazaar, the boutique was one of the first to carry Yohji Yamamoto and Maison Martin Margiela in the United States.
The residency will take place at their fifth location, the new 9,000 square foot concept store that carries both men and women and houses an array of designer labels including Jil Sander, Dries van Noten, Rick Owens and Philip Lim.
Designers will have the chance to learn from a retailer with over 40 years of experience and can leverage their expertise. From decades of fashion knowledge, consumer insight, customer service and knowing how to create a memorable personal shopping experience, this new opportunity is what young designers need to help grow their business.
- Designers must possess multidisciplinary skills in design, construction and retail business
- Production of collections/pieces must be to the standards of the designers they currently carry in store
- Designers must be available to present collection in-store on scheduled dates
- Talent is prioritized over experience; open to informally trained and as well as current students of fashion design institutes
- Residency is open to US-based designers
- Designers must provide a CV and 300 word biographical statement outlying their design philosophy, eligibility for consideration and long term business objectives
- Designers must provide documentation of their collection (e.g. look book, editorial images, etc...)
- Professional recommendations aren't required by accepted
- All information requested must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Joan Shepp Emerging Designer Residency.
For a trial period, designers will be invited to submit their collections to be displayed and sold in-store. After a selection process including fit testing with live models and in-store presentations with Joan and Ellen, designers will also engage with prospective customers on the sales floor while learning the finer details of luxury retail.
They will be accepting applications on a rolling basis, every third Thursday of the month for consideration the following month.
Learn more about the retailer at Joan Shepp.
Emerging Designer or have a resource to share? Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.