Open Call: Stitch Collective's Handbag Design Challenge
Stitch Collective is a New York-based handbag line that works with emerging designers to help develop their products. Using a vertically integrated model, they produce all handbags in their New York factory and sell online directly to the consumer which helps keep costs lower as they don't have to include traditional retail markups and have lower overhead costs. Each time they introduce a handbag, it's in collaboration with an emerging designer in an effort to provide them with exposure to grow and develop their brand.
Here's how their most recent design challenge works:
1. Stitch Collective wants you to "design a bag born to rule the city streets." Here are the specs:
"As many city dwellers do, we’ve been searching high and low for the perfect handbag — the one that will get you from lunch dates to the office, from errands to happy hour. We want to be able to toss in all of the city’s daily essentials and take it with us. It should be worthy of street-style stars and simultaneously practical. We want luxury and sensibility to keep up with a flexible metropolitan lifestyle. Keep in mind color, material and silhouette to create a sartorial treat both timeless and original."
2. On January 1, consumers and fans will get to vote on the handbag design. In February, the winner will be announced and featured on their website.
3. The winning bag will go into production and the designer will receive $500 along with exposure and mention of their name.
4. Sketches should include the following details in jpeg or pdf format and be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Front, side and back view in black and white with dimensions listed
- One front view in color
- Design can include material, hardware and any other specs
The design challenge is open to U.S. residents and submissions are rolling until noted on their website.